Eight Ways to Celebrate Your Book
Not too long ago, getting a book published was an accomplishment not many people achieved. It was to be congratulated and celebrated. Today, because of the explosion of self-published books, getting a book published is not as celebrated. However, I say that people should still congratulate new authors and their success. Even a self-published book is an accomplishment. It takes hard work to complete a book or novel. You should count it as a blessing in your life.
- Throw a Party – Although it is still done sometimes, especially for best-selling authors, book launch parties are not as popular as they once were. In the past, traditional publishers would throw a party the day a book was released to the public. This did two things. First, it allowed friends and family to get a copy of the book without going to a store. Second, it began a marketing buzz. Even if you self-publish or use print-on-demand, you should throw yourself a book launch party for the same two reasons.
- Blog About Your Book – For the days leading up to the release date, you should write a blog. Each day closer to the big day, you should talk about the book, why you wrote it and why you think people will want to buy it. When you release it, write another blog celebrating your accomplishment and invite others to celebrate with you.
- Social Media Celebration – Like the blog, you want to mention on your social media sites that you are about to release a book. Ask your friends and family to share your posts. Keep reminding them the book is coming to get them excited. Give them reasons to want to read the book and reasons why they need to buy it. On the day of release, celebrate it on social media with pictures and more. Facebook allows you to create celebrations. You should do it.
- Bake a Cake or Special Dessert – Do you have a favorite dessert? Mine is brownie hot fudge sundae. You should treat yourself with your favorite dessert on the day of your book release. Bring along a spouse, family member or special friend to make the celebration more special. Know that you have done something right and have accomplished a major feat. You could also take a picture of your cover to the bakery to create it in the icing.
- Send Out a Press Release – Whether you use traditional publishers, self-publishing, print-on-demand or some other type of publishing, you will be responsible for marketing your book. Most new authors don’t realize they have to do the marketing, even with traditional publishers. One way to celebrate your book and begin your marketing is by sending a press release to local radio, television, print and online media. In the release, you want to discuss why you wrote the book, why yours is different from others and what you could offer as a news hook for the editors. For example, my first book, The 1776 Scroll, has a connection to the signing of the Declaration of Independence, which makes it a good hook to media in July. You also want to create a media kit, which includes the press release, biography of the author, interview questions, biography of the book and other information that is important.
- Present It to Colleagues – At your next networking meeting, you should present your new book, showing how happy and proud you are that you have accomplished finishing a book. You will let your colleagues support you and praise your accomplishments, but you also will give them a new way to help you succeed. They could buy your book, or they might know people who would be willing to buy your book. They might also know other companies interested in what you have to say.
- Send Out Cards – Graduates and new parents always send out announcements about the new baby or the date of the graduation. You should send out announcements of your book. You can do this with an e-mail blast, but it will feel more special if you send the announcement through a card in the mail. You could use a company like Send-Out Cards to announce your book. Make sure you include book ordering information.
- Hand Out Bookmarks – Almost every author creates a bookmark to go with his or her book. Even if your book is electronic, you should create a bookmark to give to people you meet.
All of these tips will give you that pat on the back you need, but many of them will also boost your marketing efforts. Go finish your books and count your blessings after you are done.