Search via Google empowerment and you will find pages and pages of information about how to live a life of empowerment. Speakers and authors all have different ideas on what can give you empowerment to work. Much of the information on how to feel empowered comes from books. You can read about what changes to make to feel empowered or you can write about how you can empower others. Either way, you have to understand how to use the written word.
Authors Need to Feel Empowered
Before you begin imparting your wisdom to the masses, you have to feel empowered yourself. People believe that those authors who are inspiring others don’t need to be inspired themselves. This isn’t true. Often, I feel down on myself, that I’m not good enough or the right person. This especially happens when a client refuses to pay me or didn’t like my writing. For example, this morning, I got a message from a client that an article I wrote didn’t please the subject of the article. This makes me question my abilities, which, in turn, makes me need a self-confidence boost. The written word can do this.
Whether your goal is to empower others or publish your fiction novel, you will need to be uplifted somewhere along the line. That’s when you want to find those authors who help you remember you are great at what you do. One person not liking your work is one compared with the hundreds who do. In my case, I asked my client questions so I could improve for the next time. I will not let the setback get to me. You shouldn’t either. Remember to keep plugging away at your writing. Otherwise, you will not want to finish it.
Avoid Writers’ Block
When you are trying to empower others, if you are not feeling self-confident, you might experience writers’ block. This common phrase means that you stare at your notebook or your computer and panic. You aren’t able to put anything on paper. Others who are not professional writers experience writers’ block frequently because they don’t believe they are good at writing. If you are unsure what to write or it is taking you too long to write it, then you should consider letting a professional write the piece for you. However, even professionals can face writers’ block occasionally.
I don’t have writers’ block often. Usually, I will experience it when I am not confident in my abilities or when I don’t like or know the topic I have to write. Here are some tricks I use when I am trying to free my creativity.
- Take a break – Many times, it’s the pressure that is keeping you from writing. In my daughter’s case, she gets stressed over her English homework. As her stress levels escalate, she gets more and more panicky and writes less and less. She complains about not knowing what to write when really she just can’t function because of the pressure. Therefore, you should take a break. Exercise, eat something or take a walk.
- Read – Choose an author who inspires you or choose a novel. The act of reading will allow your brain to concentrate on something other than what you are trying to write. You will feel empowered if you select something inspirational. These are important reasons to read when you feel blocked.
- Do something else – I tell my daughter all the time, although she ignores the advice, to do a different homework and come back to English. If you are blocked, pick another activity that you must do. Instead of trying to write, do the other activity. When I am blocked for one client, I choose a different client and come back to the one who stumped me.
- Bounce a ball – You are probably thinking I am nuts about now, but, it really works. When you bounce a ball at a wall or floor, you aren’t thinking at all. The lack of thought allows your brain to be free and creative. You start thinking of ideas with every bounce. Soon, you are no longer blocked. The ideas begin flowing, and you are ready to resume your work. I have done this many times, and it always works to release my blockage.
- Meditate, yoga or relaxation – If you are blocked, you could meditate for 15 minutes, do a yoga routine or do relaxation routines. Like taking a break, this will reduce your stress level and panic. Like the bouncing a ball, it will free your mind so creativity can enter it. These methods have the added benefit of making you healthier.
- Massage therapy – Therapeutic massage is designed to reduce your stress. It can also rebalance your life and energy flow, which will ensure that you will begin to think clearer. It is good for the whole body and the brain.
With these ideas, you will be ready to empower your readers with the written word.