Pursuing Your Possibility
Coaches and leaders in any capacity work tirelessly to inspire their team members to give 100% in their role. It is important the coach and leader know exactly what they’re asking for in demanding that 100%. The most important aspect of 100% is the fact that by 100% we’re speaking of 100% effort.
A person is born and blessed with a certain degree of talent which is beyond their control. Strategies and tactics are filtered down the chain of command for application by competitors on the field of battle. Team members at times have input into the strategies and tactics. This will vary from coach to coach and leader to leader. Each of us, regardless of our role, has sole control over the amount of effort we put into our work.
What then does a 100% effort actually entail? I believe you must first treat your job and role as a mission. A mission is defined as an operation or task assigned by a higher authority. Colossians 3:23-24: “Whatever you do work at it with all your heart, as for working for the Lord, not for men, since you know you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.”
With that in mind, a 100% effort means using every fiber of body, mind, and soul to complete your mission:
- You are training properly and taking care of your body.
- You are continuing the education needed to perform your task.
- You are refining and disciplining the specific actions necessary to succeed in your role.
- You stay positive in all of your work circumstances and maintain a pleasant disposition to your teammates or anyone you interact with on task.
- You accept responsibility for attaining your goals.
- You understand that anything worthwhile is never the easy road. It is always the hard road.
- You also understand that this road is less traveled and it is on the journey itself you work to acquire fulfillment!
Most of us, even at the pinnacle of our profession, cannot honestly say we give a 100% effort all the time. Those who do take the road less traveled of 100% effort are most certainly on their way to true achievement!
As an athlete and a coach, I’ve listened to speakers demand a 110% effort. It’s always puzzled me how that was possible. I believed 100% was everything you had.
Mulling over the 110% puzzle over the years I came across an article or book about training that enlightened my thinking. It described 110% as a level of effort that cannot be proven. It exists only as an extraordinarily powerful idea. It can’t be quantified yet it lifts human effort beyond imaginable.
In order to get there, you need imagination, creativity, faith, and belief that there is always a better way. I think about a mom lifting a car to free her trapped young son as one example.
When asked to give 110% I no longer chuckle to myself but go to work with my imagination, creativity, and belief in a better way. With that mindset our potential truly is unlimited!