Resolutions vs. Goals

by | Dec 28, 2014 | Healthy Living | 0 comments

© dolphfyn - Fotolia

© dolphfyn – Fotolia

My very best wishes to you for 2015. With the New Year comes resolutions, many of which usually sound like: “I want a fatter wallet and a skinnier body” (OK, if Santa messed those two up last year, time to hit the reset button). I actually don’t like or make resolutions.  Rather, I like setting goals, which are much more practical, measurable and achievable. I also assess and re-evaluate every 90 days, and make changes when and where need be.

So, as we start this New Year, if being healthier is one of your resolutions, write down EXACTLY what you want, make it a goal, with objectives, deadlines, and most importantly, an clear action plan. For example:  your resolution is – I want to be healthier.  Pretty vague, and sounds more like a wish, don’t you think? Now, turn this into: I will have lost X pounds by June 30th, 2015 (goal with deadline). To accomplish this goal, I have hired an expert nutritionist to teach me everything I need to know to succeed and keep me accountable (action plan). You can add as many steps or elements to the action plan as you feel necessary.  If stress, time or people in your life are contributing to you sabotaging your efforts, then, finding solutions to these must be part of your plan.

The #1 recommendation I tell my clients is this – Don’t shoot for being 100% perfect, as you will fail. Instead, I encourage you to practice the 80/20 rule: if you do/eat what works towards your goals 80% of the time, allow yourself some slack (some call it cheating) the other 20% of time left, and have that ONE piece of chocolate, glass of wine/beer, or whatever else is your “downfall”.  In other words, you will only be able to reach the destination if you are able to enjoy the journey along the way.  And yes, a healthier and happier life is a journey.  By the way, this 80/20 rule works for all areas of our lives: relationships, finances, etc… So, are you ready to get started?

Let’s do this together!

article ender-bulb

 

 

Isabelle Simon
Latest posts by Isabelle Simon (see all)

Categories