Earn your PhD by being the foremost expert on you.
Those who hold the priceless designation of personal health director (PH.D) take the time to understand their current medical care and its implications. They research tirelessly to ensure they receive the best possible protocols available to them. Most importantly, they listen daily to the one being that can reveal its needs and wants: their own body. A “Health Ph.D” is the most important degree you’ll ever hold. Are you taking the time necessary to earn yours?
Be your own personal health director, and expect the following:
- Peace of mind – When you are prescribed a medication, you’ll fully understand its implications. Imagine your trip to the doctor’s office. The folder on your lap holds a sheet that lists the pills you take each day, possible side effects, and any natural treatments like acupuncture that complement the therapy. You understand the alternatives to the medicine suggested by your doctor and arrive at the appointment ready to discuss natural or Western alternatives, if they exist. Having such control over the decision-making process gives you the assurance that you have considered all options available. Those who are not personal health directors do the opposite: They take one opinion and charge forward with it, perplexed if the problem does not subside. Every person is different. It is in your best interest to research every treatment available.
- A steady barometer of you – So many people go through life just completing banal motions to get through a day. These individuals rarely stop to ask themselves if all is well with their body. When a crisis does arise, it shocks with its immediacy. Personal health directors take inventory of their body daily, and are much more likely to pinpoint a potential health challenge before it becomes debilitating. These are the people who conduct self-exams on a regular basis. They opt for preventive care, scheduling that well visit even when they have nary a sniffle. And they always reveal their concerns to their doctor when they arrive, ideally reading from a list prepared ahead of time.
All this organization and mindfulness sounds like a lot of work, and that’s because it is. Still, what could be more important than your own health? No other Ph.D will offer you the benefits of the personal health director designation.
It is in your best interest to take ownership of your body and its workings. Ask your doctor questions. Consider natural medicine as you devise treatment plans. Give yourself the confidence that an expert would naturally have about his or her subject. The benefits far outweigh the time you will spend understanding yourself.
It seems we’re all searching for someone to tell us how to best live our lives. How this fundamental question applies to the food we put in our bodies or the pills we choose to swallow, is as individual as a fingerprint. Don’t let anyone else tell you how you have to stay healthy. When in doubt, there’s one person who should be consulted above all: you.
Dr. Kym Caporale, DOM
Latest posts by Dr. Kym Caporale, DOM (see all)
- Are You Listening to What Your Body is Telling You? - November 13, 2015
- Improve Your Health With Feng Shui - October 14, 2015
- It’s Not Just About the Needle - October 1, 2015